Posts

Fireworks Safety in Cache Valley

Fireworks to Celebrate

fireworksJuly is known for fireworks. As we celebrate Independence Day – and Pioneer Day for Utah – we light up explosives. We dazzle ourselves with the bright colors and deafen ourselves with loud noises. The noise drives our neighbors and their pets crazy. It’s a good time all around.
It’s also a fire danger. Even though the 4th has passed, fireworks are lit up all month long. It’s not always legal, but there’s always a few people ready to slide the law. We’re not here to judge you for that, but just don’t ignore your fireworks safety.

Fire Hazards

Fire is always a risk of setting off fireworks. Just this year alone, firefighters have already had to put out several blazes. In the past, wildfires from mishandled fireworks have caused significant damage to the Logan Canyon mountainside. It’s no leap of logic to see how they could even set your house on fire, too. Be sure you follow these safety tips.

Safety Tips

  • Never allow young children to handle fireworks
  • Older children should use them only under close adult supervision
  • Clear a wide area around where you intend to use fireworks to minimize the risk of fire
  • Never use fireworks while impaired by drugs or alcohol
  • Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear
  • Never hold lighted fireworks in your hands
  • Never light them indoors
  • Only use them away from people, houses and flammable material
  • Never point or throw fireworks at another person
  • Only light one device at a time and maintain a safe distance after lighting
  • Never ignite devices in a container
  • Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks
  • Soak both spent and unused fireworks in water for a few hours before discarding
  • Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don’t go off or in case of fire
  • Never use illegal fireworks
  • Fireworks sold in brown paper are for professional use only; do not buy them if you don’t have proper training.
  • Always be aware of the fire hazard warning for the day. Cache Valley posts the fire danger for every day, so be sure to check it.

Sparklers

sparklersSparklers are a favorite firework for many. When I was a kid, everybody wanted to play with them. They’re fun, but they are dangerous. Sparklers burn at temperatures up to 2000 degrees, which is hot enough to melt some metals. Contact with the burning end of the sparkler will cause third degree burns almost instantly. That’s nothing to sneeze at. Given the danger, it’s probably best not to let children play with them (especially not younger children), but if you do, be sure you watch them closely and be ready to take them away at the first sign of things getting out of hand.

Keep Pets Away from Fireworks

It may be tempting to want your precious pup to join in the fun, but this is a bad idea. Animals are extremely afraid of loud noises and burning smells. Fireworks produce these in abundance. If you don’t lock your pet inside during the celebration, more than likely it will run away. This could result in your pet getting lost or injured. That’s not a risk you want to take.

If The Worst Happens

Even with proper precautions, fireworks are dangerous. Injuries are always possible and you should know what to do. If someone is burned by a firework, remove clothing from the burned area and call the doctor immediately.
The worst case scenario would be an eye injury. If there is an injury to the eye, be sure you prevent the injured person from touching or rubbing it. Do not attempt to flush it or put ointment on it. As above, call the doctor immediately. With quick enough medical attention, it may be possible to prevent permanent loss of eyesight.

For More Information

There are specific times of the year when it’s legal to buy fireworks in the state of Utah. The Utah fire marshal has helpfully provided a flier for the dates. For the specifics of the state laws for fireworks in Utah, you can go here.
Staying safe is an important part of our July celebrations, so be sure you follow all our safety tips. If your home should be damaged from fire during these celebrations, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us. We’re a full-service restoration company with lots of training. We employ the most experienced professionals in the field of fire restoration. We’ll get your home back in living condition in no time.
Otherwise, we hope you have a safe and fun July!

Utah County Wildfires

Cleaning up Smoke Damage in Utah County

The Twin Wild Fires in Utah County

Firemen in Utah County are battling with two wildfires.  As of yesterday morning, the Pole Creak fire has consumed almost 7500 acres of land and Bald Mountain lost 1500 acres to its blaze.  As a result, thousands of people evacuated the area and are awaiting the chance to return.  Firemen have partially contained the wildfires; 25% at Pole Creak and 14% at Bald Mountain.  At the time of writing, no homes have been destroyed.  While that’s good news, the fires are likely to cause considerable smoke damage to the homes nearby.  This will leave many residents with a bad mess to clean up when they return.

 

Smoke Damage

Smoke DamageSmoke damage is caused primarily because of the ionization of particles in the smoke.  Ionization gives smoke particles an electrical charge, which attracts them to surfaces. Certain surfaces are more likely to attract them. Metal objects will create a magnetic attraction, causing smoke to cluster around them.  While drywall might hide metal nails, they still have enough of power to draw smoke to the wall, causing it to form rings around the nail.  Furnishings made of synthetic fibers also tend to have a stronger attraction to smoke particles.

Because of the way hot air interacts with cold air, smoke can get into places you wouldn’t normally expect it to.  Seemingly enclosed spaces have greater smoke damage than open spaces, and because it naturally moves toward cooler areas, it has a tendency to get behind drapes and blinds.  It will follow ventilation systems, leaving residue that your vents will spread to the rest of the house if not cleaned up.    And because smoke is so light, it can easily carried by the wind, even if the fire never gets close to your home.  Even if you’ve taken all the proper precautions, there’s still the possibility that the smoke will get on, or into your home.  So what can you do about it?

 

Alpine’s 100% No-Smoke Smell Guarantee

Alpine 100% No Smoke Smell Guarantee SealThe Fire Restoration team at Alpine Cleaning and Restoration are experts at cleaning up smoke damage.  With more than 25 years of experience, we know all the tricks.  We use hydroxyl generators to completely remove all traces of the smell of smoke.  This process is completely non-toxic, allowing you and your family to still live in the home while we clean it up.  We also use an ozone chamber to remove the smoke residue from objects in your house.  By the time we’re done, you won’t be able to even tell that there was a fire.  That’s our 100% guarantee!

 

Give Us A Call

At the time of writing, the fire is still ongoing in Utah County. Firefighters are doing their best to contain them and we appreciate all their effort.  Please stay safe.  Do not return to your homes until you’ve been given the all clear.  Hopefully the fires won’t seriously damage any homes, but if they do, we’re here to help.  Whether it’s fixing damage from the flames, or the smoke, we can help you get back on your feet quickly.  Give us a call at 1-855-4-ALPINE, or use our handy contact form.  Get in touch as soon as you’re ready.  We’ll fix your home up right away.

 

Stay safe.